Monday, December 17, 2012

Words Of Comfort The Lord Is Always There

 "But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief ... My face is red with weeping, deep shadows ring my eyes; yet my hands have been free of violence and my prayer is pure ... Even now my witness is in heaven; my advocate is on high.  My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man He pleads with God as a man pleads for his friend." Job 16:5 & 16-21 (NIV)

After suffering all of the losses of his possessions and his health, Job told his tree friends that their words of comfort were not very comforting.  He said that if the roles were reversed, he could do a better job of comforting them than they were doing for him.  He also said that although he was suffering, he would continue to pray and The Lord in heaven would be his intercessor and plead his case before God The Father.

When our friends are dealing with the death or illness of a loved one, it is difficult to find the right words to say.  Telling them not to cry is useless and maybe even unhealthful.  We can remind them to pray, and we can pray for them.  We may never understand why God allows bad things to happen to us and to the ones that we love.  Our limited finite minds cannot possibly comprehend all that He knows, for He knows all.  After all that Job went through, he said though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. (Job 13:15)  Let's pray for the strength to keep the faith and to indure each trial that we face.  Remember, He said that He would never leave us or forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5)


No comments:

Post a Comment