Saturday, January 7, 2017

PLEASE LORD HAVE MERCY ON US

Proclamation:
“Lord, do not rebuke me in Your anger or discipline me in Your wrath.  Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint; heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.  My soul is in deep anguish … Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of Your unfailing love.”  Psalm 6:1-4 (NIV)

Explanation:
The words of this psalm were written under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God by King David.  This psalm is a plea for mercy and David begins this psalm by asking The Lord God not to punish him when He is angry.  He is suffering and he asks The Lord to have mercy upon him.  David also asks The Lord God to heal him, deliver him, and to save him because of God’s unfailing love.

Application:
We all know that we have sinned and done wrong repeatedly.  We know that we deserve to be punished for our sins, however, we do not want The Lord God to punish us when He is angry or upset.  We want Him to have mercy on us, to withhold our deserved punishment and grant us unmerited favor.  We want The Lord God to heal our bodies from our afflictions, to save our souls from our sins, and to deliver us from our troublesome situations.  We ask this of Him because of His endless, steadfast, and unfailing love because we ourselves are unworthy.  Because we are believers, we can be confident and know that when we pray this prayer that The Lord hears us and will intervene on our behalf. (Psalm 6:9)


No comments:

Post a Comment