Monday, June 11, 2012

We Are At War With Ourselves

"We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual ... For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate, I do. And if I do what I do not want to do ... it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do, this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members." Romans 7:14-23 (NIV)

The Apostle Paul, in his letter to the Christians in Rome, reports that he struggles with sin. He knows what is right and wants to do it, but he finds himself doing wrong. He admits that he struggles with his sinful nature.

The same is true for us Christians today, we know right from wrong, and yet we find ourselves thinking, speaking, and doing that which is wrong instead of doing right. If we are honest with ourselves, we will admit that we struggle with sin daily. We are at war with ourselves daily, fighting against our sinful nature over control of our thoughts, words, and actions. These frequent battles can only be won with God's help. That is one reason why we ought to always be in prayer, and we must always focus on God. Being Christ-like is not easy, but do not give up and do not stop trying, for in the end it will be well worth it. Keep fighting, we will get the victory in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment