Monday, June 18, 2012

Trust In The Lord And Not In Man

"Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught ... My heart is in anguish within me ... Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me ... If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God ... But I call to God, and The Lord saves me ... men who never change their ways and have no fear of God. My companion attacks his friends; he violates his covenant. His speech is smooth as butter, yet war is in his heart; his words are more soothing than oil, yet they are drawn swords. Cast your cares on The Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous fall. But You, O God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of corruption; bloodthirsty and deceitful men will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you." Psalms 55:1-23 (NIV) Shortened

This psalm of David is one of his prayers. He prayed this prayer when he was being attacked from without and from within, and even some of his friends had turned on him.

Not only are we suffering from the attacks and disappointments from others, but our thoughts and emotions are negative and out of control. This psalm of David advises us to pray when things seem to be going wrong. David also warns us to watch out for our "so-called" friends. We expect attacks from our enemies, but not from our "friends." These "friends" will attack us, usually verbally, and break promises made to us that they never really intended to keep. They are smooth talkers, but they have malice in their hearts. Trust in The Lord, for only He can protect and sustain us.

No comments:

Post a Comment