Saturday, February 25, 2017

I TRUST IN THE LORD GOD AND I WILL NOT BE AFRAID

Proclamation:
“In God, whose word I praise, in The Lord, whose word I praise; in God I trust and am not afraid.  What can man do to me?  I am under vows to You, my God; I will present my thank offerings to You.  For You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.”  Psalm 56:10-13 (NIV)

Explanation:
These words were written under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God by King David.  He began this psalm asking God to be merciful to him because of his enemies. (Psalm 56:1-2)  Then he confidently states that he will trust in The Lord. (Psalm 56:3-4)  Later he repeats these words (Psalm 56:10-11) but he says it twice using two different names for God.  In verse 10 he uses “Elohim” denoting God of justice.  In verse 11 he uses “Jehovah” denoting God of mercy.  He also repeats the question, “What can man do to me?” (Psalm 56:4 and 11)  He knows that he belongs to God, and that God has delivered him from death in the past.  Because of God’s help in the past he is able to walk in His sight, being fully exposed knowing that God can see his heart, thoughts, and actions.  He is able to walk according to the word and the will of God.

Application:
As believers we know, intellectually, that God is all powerful, all knowing, and everywhere all at the same time, but we do not behave as if we really believe it.  We know that God is in control, yet we worry, we let worldly things upset us, we fear things and people, and we do not always follow The Word of God.  We know what He has done in the past, and we need to trust Him in the present and for the future.  We need to pray for mercy and forgiveness, and for help to walk uprightly in His sight least we stumble and fall back into sin. 


No comments:

Post a Comment