Monday, February 20, 2017

A BELIEVER'S PRAYER FOR MERCY AND FORGIVENESS

Proclamation:
“Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight; so You are right in Your verdict and justified when You judge.”  Psalm 51:1-4 (NIV)

Explanation:
These words were written by King David under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God after the prophet Nathan came to him after he had committed adultery with Bathsheba, who was Uriah’s wife. (2 Samuel 11:1-12:24)  David admitted and confessed his sins to The Lord and asked to be forgiven.  He knew that his sin was a sin against God.  He asked The Lord God to have mercy upon him and cleanse him from his sins.

Application:
This psalm is a prayer which all believers should pray.  When we sin we may do wrong against our fellow man but ultimately our sin is against God by neglect, disobedience, or contempt for His commandments.  Even when we think that we have sinned in private, it is still done in the presence of God, who is always with us and sees all that we do. (2 Samuel 3:25)  We need to humbly pray to The Lord God and honestly confess our sins, and sincerely ask Him to be forgiven. (2 Chronicles 7:14 and 1 John 1:9) 


No comments:

Post a Comment