Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pray For God's Instruction Guidance And Direction

"Let me understand the teaching of Your precepts; then I will meditate on Your wonders.  My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to Your word.  Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me through Your law.  I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on Your laws ... do not let me be put to shame ... Teach me, O LORD, to follow Your decrees; then I will keep them to the end.  Give me understanding, and I will keep Your law and obey it with all my heart.  Direct me in the path of Your commands, for there I find delight.  Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain.  Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to Your word."  Psalms 119:27-37 (NIV)

Psalms 119 is the longest of the psalms, in fact, it is the longest chapter in the Bible having 176 verses.  This psalm is thought to be a collection of King David's brief utterances to God.  Here he is praying for instruction and understanding, and for guidance and direction.  He also asks God to keep his eyes and his heart from evil, sinful, deceitful things.

We would do good to ask God for the same things.  We have chosen to follow The Lord, but we need His help in order to do so.  We need to read and study The Word of God more, but we need Him to increase our knowledge and understanding.  As we walk this Christian walk, we need His help, guidance, and direction in order to steer clear of sinful things.  Maybe we should pray this prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment