Sunday, May 6, 2012

Who Are You Connected To?

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in Me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to My Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be My disciples." John 15:1-8 (NIV)

Just before the passover feast, Jesus was with His disciples, telling them of things to come. After He had washed their feet, predicted His betrayal, and predicted Peter's denial, He sought to comfort them. He encouraged them to remain in Him, to be true to His word, and He would remain in them.

The analogy of a fruit bearing branch is so clear. If a branch is not connected to the main vine and its roots, it cannot receive the sustenance it needs to remain alive and bear fruit. Likewise, we can do nothing if we are not connected to Jesus. He is the source of our strength and our life. We cannot bear fruit or continue to exist without Him. If we are not connected to Jesus, then we are like dead branches, good for nothing but to be cast into the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment