Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lord Have Mercy

"Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight ..." Psalms 51:1-4 (NIV)

David sinned, he knew that he had sinned, and he prayed for mercy and forgiveness. He wanted God to cleanse him and take away all of his sins (stated here and repeated in verse 7).

It has been said that David was "a man after God's own heart," not because he did not sin, but because his heart was in the right place. David prayed to God for forgiveness, mercy, and God's help after he sinned, and he did not continue to repeat the same sin over and over again. We need to sincerely pray like David did. We also need to ask God to help us, and to remove from us the desire for our sins, to create in us a clean heart and mind. We cannot become more Christ-like without God's help.


No comments:

Post a Comment