Wednesday, July 19, 2017

MAY I SUFFER IF I FORGET YOU OR IF I DO NOT REMEMBER YOU

Proclamation:
“If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill.  May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.”  Psalm 137:5-6 (NIV)

Explanation:
The words of this psalm were written under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God by King David to echo the words of the saints who were carried off in captivity into Babylon.  As they sat by the rivers of Babylon and as they wept, they remembered Jerusalem. (Psalm 137:1)  In their despondent situation, they were forced by their captors to sing. (Psalm 137:3-4)  They knew that they would never forget their holy city and the prayed that they would suffer greatly if they ever did not remember. (Psalm 137:5-7)

Application:
A lot of good things and bad things happen to us over the course of our lives, but there are some things which happen that are truly unforgettable.  Sometimes The Lord God allows us to go through a critical experience in order to bless us.  The experience is one of those unforgettable moments in our lives, however, we should not forget The Lord God who blessed us and brought us to and through that moment.  Some experiences will put a smile on our face, a song in our mouth, and joy in our heart.  Unfortunately, all too often we tend to focus on the experience and not on The Lord God who brought us through it.  Let us always remember, and never forget, that the hand of The Lord God is involved in every aspect of our lives. (Proverbs 3:6)  It is in Him that we live, move, and have our very being. (Acts 17:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment