Thursday, September 1, 2016

GOD'S GRACE IS SUFFICIENT

Proclamation:
“Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with The Lord to take it away from me.  But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’”  2 Corinthians 12:7-9
 Explanation:
While defending himself to the false teachers, false prophets, and false apostles, the Apostle Paul said that he could boast about a number of things but refused to do so.  Under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God, he chose to boast about The Lord.  In order to keep him humble, Paul said that he was given “a thorn” in his flesh.  The exact nature of the thorn was not identified.  Whether it was a physical ailment, a great trouble or temptation, the devil meant it to take Paul down but God used it to keep him grounded and from thinking to highly of himself.  Paul asked The Lord three times to remove it but He said that His grace would help Paul to deal with it. 

Application:
Sometimes life throws us a curve.  When times are tough and things go wrong, we should not give up or get mad.  We should remember that The Lord said, "My grace is sufficient ..." (2 Corinthians 12:9)  If He brought us to it, He can bring us through it.  The Lord God’s power is demonstrated during our weakness.  All things happen for a reason and even “bad things” can be used for our benefit. (Romans 8:28)  Some things are just tests which can strengthen us. (James 1:3-4)  So, even when life bring us trials and tribulations we should be joyful and count them as a good thing which is preparing us for something better. (James 1:2)  Each of us is still a work in progress.  As with the thorn in Paul's flesh and the trials of James, God is working on us and He is not through with us yet.  So count it all as joy and know that God is always with us. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment