Sunday, April 3, 2016

A PRAYER OF CLEANSING

Proclamation:
“Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight; … Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Psalm 51:1-4 and 10 (NIV)

Explanation:
This psalm is a prayer of King David, written under the inspiration of The Holy Spirit of God.  After he had slept with Uriah’s wife, Bathsheba, David ordered him to be put in a position to be killed so that he could have her for himself. (2 Samuel 11:1-27)  David knew that he had sinned and he asked God to cleanse him of his sins. (Psalm 51:2)  He also asked God to purge him, clean him, wash him, (Psalm 51:7) and to blot out all of his iniquities. (Psalm 51:9)  David wanted God to give him a clean heart and a right spirit. (Psalm 51:10)  He also wanted God to restore the joy of his salvation. (Psalm 51:12)  Then he asked God to control his words so that he could give God praise. (Psalm 51:15)

Application:
Most of the sins that we commit are conscious decisions on our part and we know that what we are doing is wrong.  Most believers feel bad or guilty after committing a sin as if doing so robs us of the joy of our salvation.  We need to pray and ask The Lord God to have mercy on us and to forgive us.  We need for Him to cleanse us, to wipe away our sins and transgressions, and to create within us a clean heart and mind.  We also need His help to stay on the straight and narrow path that is His way.  We need to pray that He would order our steps, guide our tongues, and direct out thoughts so that our lives will be a good Christian example for others to see and so that we can all praise His name.



1 comment: