Friday, May 10, 2013

God's Grace Is Sufficient For Us

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with The Lord to take it away from me.  But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."  2 Corinthian 12:7-9 (NIV)

The Apostle Paul was given a thorn in his flesh, a physical ailment, or a disability, or a personal challenge, which was designed to torment and humble him.  He referred to it as a messenger from Satan, but God used it to keep him from becoming conceited, and to correct his focus.  Three times Paul asked God to remove it, but God told him "My grace is sufficient for you."  God's strength was demonstrated in Paul's weakness.

We each have something in our lives that keeps our feet on the ground and our eyes looking towards heaven.  Something that keeps reminding us that we are dependent upon God. We know that God can heal us, and keep us from all hurt, harm, and danger.  God can also use our afflictions and our situations to keep us on our knees in prayer.  That which makes us cry out unto The Lord can be our thorn in the flesh.  Whatever it is, His grace is sufficient to help us overcome and persevere through it.  In our weakness and limitations, God can demonstrate His strength and power.



No comments:

Post a Comment