Friday, July 1, 2016

A PRAYER OF DAVID

Proclamation:
“Teach me, Lord, the way of Your decrees, that I may follow it to the end.  Give me understanding, so that I may keep Your law and obey it with all my heart.  Direct me in the path of Your commands, for there I find delight.  Turn my heart toward Your statutes and not toward selfish gain.” Psalm 119:33-36 (NIV)
Explanation:
This psalm was written by King David under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God.  Here David is praying and asking The Lord to teach him and give him understanding so that he would know and follow God’s law.  He also wants The Lord to direct his heart and his path towards God and His laws and to turn him away from selfish gain.  David knows that he is a sinner and that he needs God’s help to keep him from his deceitful ways. (Psalm 119:28-29)
Application:
King David recognized that he needed help to follow The Word of God and he prayed and asked for that help.  We need to come to the same understanding and recognize that we need God’s help to follow His commands and statutes.  Our problem is that we think that we know it all and we offer up excuses for why don’t follow God’s word.  When we pray we should ask for wisdom, knowledge, and understanding of His Holy Word.  We should also pray that He would turn our heart away from our selfish sinful desires and towards Him and His righteousness.


No comments:

Post a Comment