Thursday, June 9, 2016

LORD HAVE MERCY

Proclamation:
“Show me Your ways, Lord, teach me Your paths.  Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long.  Remember, Lord, Your great mercy and love, for they are from old.  Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to you love remember me, for You, Lord, are good.” Psalm 25:4-7 (NIV)
Explanation:
The words of this psalm were written under the influence of The Holy Spirit of God by King David.  He recognized that he was a sinner and that he needed God’s forgiveness and help.  David was a man after God’s heart. (1 Samuel 13:14)  This was so not because he was so good, but because when he sinned he frequently prayed and asked to be forgiven.
Application:
If we are honest with ourselves, most of us will admit that we have messed up a lot trying to do things our way.  We need help and forgiveness for our sins.  We really do not want to be reminded of all of our past sins.  We need God's grace and mercy.  We need His Grace because we want God to give us of His goodness that which we don't deserve.  We need His Mercy because we want Him to withhold the punishment that we do deserve.  If we would confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins and cleanse us for all of our unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)  That's why, like David, we need to pray and appeal to God's mercy and His tender loving-kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment