Friday, October 4, 2019

WHEN THE LEADER SINS THE PEOPLE SUFFER


PROCLAMATION
“David was conscience-stricken after he had counted the fighting men, and he said to The Lord, ‘I have sinned greatly in what I have done.  Now, Lord, I beg you, take away the guilt of Your servant.  I have done a very foolish thing.’ …  He said to The Lord, ‘I have sinned;  I, the shepherd, have done wrong.  These are but sheep.  What have they done?  Let Your hand fall on me and my family.’”  2 Samuel 24:10-17 (NIV)

EXPLANATION
David commits a sin by taking a census and putting his trust in the size of his army instead of trusting in The Lord.  He confesses his sin and asks for God’s mercy.  David was given the opportunity to choose the punishment for his sin. (2 Samuel 24:11-14)  Each of the three punishments that he had to select from was also going to affect the people of Israel.  He could not make a choice, so The Lord chose for him and sent a plague over Israel which killed a large number of people. (2 Samuel 24:15)  Then David prayed that The Lord would punish him and his family and not the innocent people of Israel. (2 Samuel 24:17)

APPLICATION
Sometimes when we sin, we also hurt others.  Our punishment for our sins can also cause them pain. (2 Samuel 24:17)   Some of the bad times which we endure are the punishment for the sins of our grandparents. (Numbers 14:18)  We need to pray for ourselves and for others because our sins may be the cause of their suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment